If your significant other, friend or family member is a smoker and you're not, the subject of quitting might've come up in conversation. There are so many negative aspects of smoking, it might be hard to understand what on earth your loved one gets out of it. Chances are, it's not just the nicotine - it's the rituals and habits that go along with taking a cigarette break. If you're trying to convince him or her to stop for good, there are a few ways you can increase the chances of it.
1. Make sure he or she is informed about all of the health risks. Yes, these facts and figures have been widely publicized for years, but sometimes smokers choose to ignore them because they don't want to admit what they're doing to their bodies. Also, it might help to point out that your loved one isn't just risking his or her own health, but jeopardizing yours.
2. Bring up how smoking affects the environment you're sharing. If you have a house together, point out the lingering smell, the nicotine stains on the walls and the fact that all of the laundry reeks of smoke. If you share a car, the same subjects can be discussed.
3. Talk about how some of your feelings may have changed toward the person. Mention that you don't like kissing your spouse after he or she smoked, that you've noticed his or her appearance is being affected by cigarettes or that you're worried about your friend's health.
4. Ask if they'd be willing to switch to electronic cigarettes. These devices are a better alternative to cigarettes because they don't contain the thousands of chemicals that cigarettes do. Mention that your loved one won't have to go out to buy any more packs of cigarettes, thereby saving lots of money. Also, bring up the fact that there are plenty of flavors to choose from, which might appeal to his or his tastes.
5. Offer to help in any way that you can. If your loved one does decide it's time to quit smoking, do everything in your power to make the process easier. Keeping him or her occupied can cut down on the urge to smoke, and stocking up on hard candies or e-cig eLiquids can satisfy cravings.